Pages

Ads 468x60px

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Color Skin Part III

I think is the the final entry of my color skin stories. Enjoy with your popcorn.

◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤

In Kuching, sometimes we call Orang Asli or Bumiputera or aborigines as LaKia / 拉子.

I'm not sure it's a bad word or just some nickname to represent Bumiputera.

My family always say lakia this lakia that but I don't like to call Bumiputera as lakia.

It sounds rude and racist.

Last year, I went to a local authority to look for an engineer.

I called him Mr. Liu before that.

After had a meeting with Mr. Liu, I needed to write down his name for our minutes of meeting.

So, I asked for his full name.

He told me:" My full name is Liu La Kia...."

Photobucket

Liu La Kia.

Liu La Kia.

Liu La Kia.

La Kia.

Photobucket

Immediately I have this imagination of how tough of him having LaKia as his own name.

Oh poor man, he must have a tough life which his friends must be making a lot of fun with his name.

I had that poker face for that moment.

◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤

Anywhere, I went back to look for him again the next few days.

Before entering the building, the guard blocked my car and asked me where to go.

Guard with a serious face: "Pergi Mana? / Go where?"

Awesome me: "Mau cari staff, Mr. Liu. / Want to find staff, Mr. Liu."

Guard:" Oh."

He signaled another guard to raise up the barricade.

Before I go, he suddenly asked me:" You Lakia ka? / Are you Lakia?"

I was like, WTF?

Photobucket

Lakia, why? I look like lakia to him?

I stayed calm and answered him politely:" Bukan, saya Cina. / No, I'm Chinese."

Photobucket

He gave me a puzzled look, pause for 3 seconds and said:" Ok, go."

In my car, I keep wondering why he asked me whether I'm lakia or not.

Is it because of my skin colour?

I know that many people always confuse me to be Bumiputera but there's no person in my life ever question me like that by using lakia this word.

I felt insulted.

Then, I suddenly realized that he was asking me...





Liu La Kia?

Liu La Kia?

Liu La Kia?

He was mentioned about Mr. Liu's full name.

I misheard the sentence became You La Kia?

You La Kia?

You La Kia?

You La Kia?

Silly me.

Photobucket

I have a racist mind.

Damn.

-closedown-

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! is he an engineer from SESCO?
I heard bout his name when attend a sesco dinner many years ago haha

Angelina.